Google
 

Sunday, September 16, 2007

2006 Subaru Impreza STi

Note: This is another in a series of cars I've had the privilege of enjoying.

The 2006 Subaru Impreza STi. This is my current ride, acquired in March of 2006. Ever since I read a car magazine article back in the 90s about 3 supercars we couldn't have here
in the US (the Skyline GT-R, the Lancer Evolution, and the Impreza 22B), I wanted one. I had my choice of color options that day, but for me, there was really only one color - World Rally Blue with the gold rims.

With 300 BHP and 300 lb-ft of torque, all-wheel drive, a solid suspension, 4 LSDs, Brembo brakes, a driver-controlled center differential, and a built-in spray button to shoot water onto the intercooler, this is a serious piece of hardware. Motor Trend took the STi from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and did the quarter in 13 seconds flat.

With a set of high-performance snow tires, this is year-round excitement. Plus, it's got a big trunk and four real doors. So when it was finally time to settle into adult parental life, this is the all-wheel drive sedan I went with. Sneaky, eh?

Anyway, after investing $695 and half an hour to reflash the ECU using the Cobb AccessPort, I am now running with an estimated 325 BHP and 340 lb-ft of torque. The additional power is intoxicating. If you're an STi owner and you're on the fence about the version 2 AccessPort, I say go for it - you won't regret it.

I've truly loved all of the cars I've had the pleasure of driving, but the STi is by far the most versatile, practical, scary-fast ride I've ever owned. As a famous young man once said:

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I'd highly recommend picking one up."
- Ferris Bueller, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986